Flexible Packaging Glossary - A
Back To Top
- AccumulatorIn automated packaging operations, a device, a table, or a type of conveyor designed to permit the gathering of packs or objects.
- AclarTrade name for a polychlorotrifluoroethylene (PCTFE) polymer. The polymer has outstanding moisture and excellent oxygen barrier properties, as well as being clear, rigid, and relatively easy to thermoform. Its main packaging application is for pharmaceutical blister packages.
- acrylonitrileA monomer with the structure ( CH = CHCN). Its copolymers have good gas barrier and chemical resistance properties. Also known as trade name Barex.
- Adhesive LaminationA laminating process in which individual layers of multi-layer packaging materials are laminated to each other with an adhesive.
- AerobicA general term describing those micro-organisms that propagate only in the presence of oxygen
- AerosolIn packaging, a gas-tight, pressure-resistant container, a valve, a product, and a propellant that forces the product from the container when the valve is opened.
- air gapThe distance from the die lips of a polymer-melt extruder and the chill roll.
- aluminum foilA thin gauge (.285-1.0 mil) aluminum foil laminated to plastic films to provide oxygen, aroma and water vapor barrier properties.
- AnaerobicA general term describing those micro-organisms that will propagate in the absence of oxygen.
- anilox rollEngraved ink metering roll used in flexo presses to provide a controlled film of ink to the printing plates which print onto the substrate.
- Aseptic PackagingA pack and product system in which the product and pack are individually rendered aseptic(sterile) and then combined and sealed under aseptic conditions. In contrast, in a typical canning operation neither can nor food is sterile when they are brought together and sealed. Sterility is achieved by heat-treating the sealed can.